Thursday, July 25, 2013

The First Day Prep

On Monday, I decided that I was ready. While all of my little ran around in the toy room/guest room, I sat down with a bunch of resources and tried working out what we were going to do for schooling. I had purchased some Alpha Omega curriculum in the spring when it was on sale. I had originally planned on using their Lifepacs for kindergarten, but that style of learning just doesn't work for him. He's not a master it and done kind of guy. Instead, I'm using the Horizons curriculum as a the base, but not strictly. Both boys will be starting with kindergarten and they both learn slightly differently. Knowing that, I wanted to have a central curriculum for the boys that I could adapt for each other them. I printed off these nifty A-Z Handwriting worksheets from Confessions of a Homeschooler for each of the kids to use. I also found some number ones with different themes online (and of course, I cannot find the site I used now). 

Since my boys are busy boys, I'm adapting a lot of the lessons to be more physical. We will be moving and playing a lot because they learn best when they're moving. I know this isn't how most people teach their boys, but I don't want to set them up for frustration and failure. I will teach them to sit still for their schooling, but right now, that's not my goal. It is to teach them to read and write and basic math skill. I think it will be best for everyone in this house if we do that by integrating games and play into learning. 

I have my planner set for the first week to see how it goes. I'll evaluate after that week and then change what needs changing. We're starting on Monday...I'm hopeful that the boys will like it and that we can make it fun and engaging. 

*Note that these are NOT affiliated links...just crediting people who deserve it.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice. Unkind comments will not be approved and/or will be removed.